Sylvan R. Shemitz Memorial Scholarship
Sylvan R. Shemitz, F.I.E.S.
In honor of its founder Sylvan R. Shemitz, one of the innovative forces behind asymmetric lighting, The Lighting Quotient initiated a new student scholarship in partnership with the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America. Designed for the future generation of lighting designers, engineers and architects, all second, third, fourth and fifth year undergraduate or graduate students in accredited lighting degree programs are eligible to apply.
The Lighting Quotient established an endowment, starting with a $50,000 donation, and will annually award a scholarship of $2,500.
Each year students are required to submit the following:
- Lighting plan for the designated project
- Drawings and renderings to support the project
- A lighting fixture schedule and product specifications
- A 250 word statement of the objectives and goals of the lighting design concept
- One letter of recommendation from principal instructors at the student’s current design program
- Demonstrate knowledge of the IES goals for energy performance and ASHRAE standard 90-1-2010
- Completed scholarship application form
The next scholarship opportunity with application details and new project plans will be available October 1, 2013.